Crunchy Quinoa Muesli Bars
- 1 cup (180g) uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup (110g) whole rolled oats
- ½ cup (30g) shredded coconut
- ½ cup (70g) pistachios, shelled
- ½ cup (70g) chopped macadamias
- ½ cup (130g) peanut butter
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon (140g) honey
- dark chocolate, optional
For a nut free bar, swap 1/2 cup pistachios and 1/2 cup macadamias for 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds + 1/2 cup sunflower seeds – and use tahini (a paste like peanut butter but made from sesame seeds) in place of peanut butter.
For those who like dried fruit – reduce nuts and add raisins, dried apricots and/or cranberries, or any other dried fruit of choice. For a vegan version use maple syrup in place of honey.
Per Serve (29g) 503 kJ or 120 calories; P 3.6g Fat 8g SFat 1.7g CHO 13g Fibre 2g
Recipe adapted from Super Healthy Kids
Author: Healthy Home Café
Special thanks to the dietician, food lover and passionate cook, Caroline @Healthy Home Café for sharing her fantastic recipes.
Return to Recipe Listing >
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees and line a 9 inch square baking tray with non-stick paper
- Place quinoa and oats in prepared baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Measure out coconut, pistachios and macadamias into a large bowl.
- Add peanut butter and honey to a small saucepan and when the oats and quinoa are toasted, heat over medium heat until just melted and combined.
- Tip toasted quinoa and oats in with the nuts and coconut.
- Pour warm peanut butter and honey over the oat mix and stir to combine.
- Press into prepared tray and bake for 18-20 minutes, until edges are just slightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Drizzle with a little melted chocolate if you like.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.